Welcome to another episode of The RVA Small Business Show with your host Cory Mosley. In today’s segment, we are joined by Lauren Schieffer, CSP – The Colonel’s Daughter author of “Help Others Grow First – How Smart Leaders Attract and Retain Great Employees“.
Lauren’s passion is helping organizations build their next generation of leaders. Whether it’s training, keynotes or longer-term consulting partnerships, she uses Nine Essentials of Significant Leadership™ to help transform the way managers think, make decisions & act toward the people they lead.
I believe very strongly that a closed mind cannot grow, and therefore a closed mind cannot lead. -Lauren Schieffer, CSP
The Secret to Attracting and Retaining Great Employees
Lauren has a unique perspective on this matter, having grown up as a military child and later serving in the Army. Her experience taught her the importance of adaptability, resilience, and strong leadership. In her book, Lauren offers a simple guide to help leaders navigate the challenges of hiring and retaining top talent.
- Cultivate a Positive Work Culture: A positive work environment is essential for attracting and retaining great employees. People want to work in a place where they feel valued, supported, and motivated to succeed. As a leader, it’s your responsibility to create a culture that fosters collaboration, open communication, and trust.
- Offer Competitive Compensation and Benefits: While money may not be the only factor that influences an employee’s decision to join or stay with a company, it’s undoubtedly crucial. Offering competitive salaries and benefits is essential for attracting top talent and keeping them satisfied in the long run.
- Provide Opportunities for Growth and Development: Great employees are always looking for ways to grow and develop their skills. As a leader, it’s your responsibility to provide opportunities for your team members to learn, take on new challenges, and advance their careers. This could include training programs, mentorship, or support for continued education.
- Recognition and Appreciation: Consistent recognition and appreciation are vital for keeping employees motivated and engaged. By acknowledging their achievements and contributions, you’re showing them that their hard work is valued and appreciated. This, in turn, boosts morale and encourages employees to continue performing at their best.
- Flexibility and Work-Life Balance: Today’s workforce values flexibility and work-life balance more than ever. Providing flexible work arrangements, such as remote work or flexible schedules, can help employees achieve a healthy work-life balance. In turn, this can lead to increased job satisfaction and higher retention rates.
As a leader, it’s crucial to invest time and effort into creating an environment where your employees can thrive. By following the advice of Lauren and implementing these strategies in your organization, you can attract and retain great employees who are committed to growing your business and achieving success.
- Focus on creating a positive work culture that encourages collaboration, open communication, and trust.
- Offer competitive compensation and benefits to attract and retain top talent.
- Provide opportunities for growth and development, such as training programs, mentorship, and support for continued education.
- Consistently recognize and appreciate employees for their achievements and contributions.
- Prioritize flexibility and work-life balance to keep employees satisfied and motivated.
Click here to purchase your copy of “Help Others Grow First – How Smart Leaders Attract and Retain Great Employees”